B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (University of Trento, Italy), Postdoctoral Fellowship (University of California, Santa Barbara)
- Multi-scale mechanics of materials and optimal design
- Contact mechanics
Current Research Work
- Optimal design of gecko-inspired dry adhesives
- M. Bacca, R.M. McMeeking (2017). A viscoelastic constitutive law for hydrogels. Meccanica, pp. 1–11.
- M. Bacca, N.A. Fleck, R.M. McMeeking (2017). A swell toughening strategy for elastomers having surface cracks. Extreme Mechanics Letters, v. 10 pp. 32–40.
- M. Bacca, J.A. Booth, K.L. Turner, R.M. McMeeking (2016). Load sharing in bioinspired fibrillar adhesives with backing layer interactions and interfacial misalignment. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, v. 96 pp. 428–444.
- M. Bacca, R.M. McMeeking (2016).Latent heat saturation in microstructural evolution by severe plastic deformation. International Journal of Plasticity, v. 83 pp. 74–89.
- M. Bacca, D. R. Hayhurst, R. M. McMeeking (2015). Continuous dynamic recrystallization during severe plastic deformation. Mechanics of Materials, v. 90, p. 148-156.
- M. Bacca, D. Bigoni, F. Dal Corso, D. Veber (2013). Mindlin second-gradient elastic properties from dilute two-phase Cauchy-elastic composites. Part I: Closed form expression for the effective higher-order constitutive tensor. International Journal of Solids and Structures, v. 50, p. 4010-4019.
- M. Bacca, D. Bigoni, F. Dal Corso, D. Veber (2013). Mindlin second-gradient elastic properties from dilute twophase Cauchy-elastic composites Part II: Higher-order constitutive properties and application cases. International Journal of Solids and Structures, v. 50, p. 4020-4029.
- M. Bacca, D. Bigoni, F. Dal Corso, D. Veber (2013). Anisotropic effective higher-order response of heterogeneous Cauchy elastic materials. Mechanics Research Communications, v. 54, 63-71.
- M. Gei, D. Bigoni, A.B. Movchan and M. Bacca (2012). Band-gap properties of pre-stressed structures, in Acoustic Metamaterials – Negative refraction, imaging, lensing and cloaking, R.V. Craster, S. Guenneau (Eds.), Series in Materials Science, v. 166, Springer, ISBN 978-94-007-4813-2.
- M. Gei, S. Roccabianca, M. Bacca (2011). Controlling band gap in Electroactive Polymer-based structures. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, v. 16, p. 102-107.
- M. Bacca, J.A. Booth, K.L. Turner, R.M. McMeeking (2016). Optimal load sharing in bioinspired fibrillar adhesives. ASME, Phoenix –USA, November 2016.
- M. Bacca, R. McMeeking, D. Hayhurst. Microstructural Evolution of Crystalline Solid Materials under Severe Plastic Deformations. CERMODEL, Trento, Italy, July 2015.
- M. Bacca, R. McMeeking, D. Hayhurst. Microstructural Evolution of Crystalline Solid Materials under Severe Plastic Deformations. ASME, Montreal, CA, November 2014.
- F. Dal Corso, M. Bacca (2014). Multiscale modelling of ceramic composites. International workshop “Multiscale modelling in ceramics” within the International Congress APM 2014 Advanced Problems in Mechanics, St Petersburg (Russia), June-July 2014.
- F. Dal Corso, D. Bigoni, M. Bacca, D. Veber (2013). Evaluation of internal lengthscales from homogenization. XXI Congresso Associazione Italiana di Meccanica Teorica e Applicata, Turin (Italy), September 2013.
- F. Dal Corso, D. Bigoni, M. Bacca, D. Veber (2013). Effective second gradient elastic (Mindlin) materials. IUTAM2013 SYMPOSIUM, Multiscale modeling and uncertainty quantification of materials and structures, Santorini Island (Greece), September 2013.
- F. Dal Corso, D. Bigoni, M. Bacca, D. Veber (2013). Higher-order response of ceramic composites. CERMODEL 2013, Modelling and Simulation meet innovation in ceramics technology, Trento (Italy), July 2013.
- F. Dal Corso, M. Bacca, D. Bigoni, D. Veber (2013). Estimation of non-local parameters arising from composite materials homogenization. ICRACM 2013 – 4th Int. Conf. on Recent Advances in Composite Materials, Panaji, Goa (India), February 2013.
- M. Bacca, D. Bigoni, F. Dal Corso, D. Veber. Homogenization of heterogeneous Cauchy-elastic materials leads to Mindlin second-gradient elasticity. GIMC, Rossano, Italy, June 2012.