Professor and Associate Head, External
P.Eng., External; B.Sc. (Dalhousie); B.Eng. (Technical University of Nova Scotia); M.Sc.[Eng.] and Ph.D. (Queen’s); Postdoctoral Fellowship (Yale)
|website:||Orthopaedic and Injury Biomechanics Group|
- Orthopaedic Biomechanics
- Injury Biomechanics
- Neurotrauma (Spinal Cord and Brain Injury)
- Biomechanics of Hip Fracture
- Injury Prevention
Current Research Work
- ‘Pro-Neck-Tor’ Helmet: Prevents spinal cord injuries (SCI) during head-first impacts that can occur during sports and transportation accidents. Awarded a “Best of What’s New” award by Popular Science for this helmet. Actively commercializing this helmet, underlining both the improved brain injury protection and the spinal column and spinal cord protection provided by its shell.
- Neck muscle activation and cervical spine posture during automotive rollovers.
- Neck injury criteria for head-first impacts that happen with lateral bending (head leaning sideways).
- Spine degeneration and geriatric spinal cord injury.
- Cerebrospinal fluid dynamics during an SCI and the role of pressure variation of this fluid on the patient during clinical treatment.
- Finite Element Analysis of the spine during head-first impacts.
- Safe medical evacuation of soldiers suffering from an SCI.
- Biomechanics of spine implants.
- Efficacy of snowboard helmets during head first impacts on snow
- Bicycle helmet performance and testing methods.
- Skull accelerations during headfirst impacts by hockey players.
- Regional brain deformation and injury during head impacts leading to concussion
- Biomechanics of Hip Injury: Studies the basic mechanisms of hip fracture using cadaveric specimens and high speed data collection. One aim of this research is to identify features in the bone architecture that predispose a specific hip to early fracture. This information can be used in preventative screening.
- Bicycle safety improvement through infrastructure design, in association with Kay Teschke.
- Enns-Bray WS, Ariza O, Gilchrist S, Widmer Soyka RP, Vogt PJ, Palsson H, Boyd SK, Guy P, Cripton PA, Ferguson SJ, Helgason B. Morphology based anisotropic finite element models of the proximal femur validated with experimental data. Med Eng Phys. 2016;38(11):1339–1347.
- Gustafson HM, Cripton PA, Ferguson SJ, Helgason B. Comparison of specimen-specific vertebral body finite element models with experimental digital image correlation measurements. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2017;65:801–807.
- Helgason B, Gilchrist S, Ariza O, Vogt P, Enns-Bray W, Widmer RP, Fitze T, Pálsson H, Pauchard Y, Guy P, Ferguson SJ, Cripton PA. The influence of the modulus-density relationship and the material mapping method on the simulated mechanical response of the proximal femur in side-ways fall loading configuration. Med Eng Phys. 2016;38(7):679–689.
- Richards D, Ivarsson BJ, Scher I, Hoover R, Rodowicz K, Cripton P. Ice hockey shoulder pad design and the effect on head response during shoulder-to-head impacts. Sports Biomech. 2016:1–12. (Epub ahead of print)
- Streijger F, Lee JHT, Manouchehri N, Melnyk AD, Chak J, Tigchelaar S, So K, Okon EB, Jiang S, Kinsler R, Barazanji K, Cripton PA, Kwon BK. Responses of the Acutely Injured Spinal Cord to Vibration that Simulates Transport in Helicopters or Mine-Resistant-Ambush-Protected Vehicles. J. Neurotrauma. 2016. (Epub ahead of print)
- Gustafson H, Siegmund G, Cripton P. Comparison of Strain Rosettes and Digital Image Correlation for Measuring Vertebral Body Strain. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. 2016; 138(5).
- Namjoshi DR, Cheng WH, Carr M, Martens KM, Zareyan S, Wilkinson A, McInnes KA, Cripton PA, Wellington CL. Chronic Exposure to Androgenic-Anabolic Steroids Exacerbates Axonal Injury and Microgliosis in the CHIMERA Mouse Model of Repetitive Concussion. PLoS ONE. 2016;11(1):e0146540.
- Stuart CA, Richards D, Cripton PA. Injuries at the Whistler Sliding Center: a 4-year retrospective study. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2016;50(1):62–70.
- Bhatnagar T, Liu J, Yung A, Cripton P, Kozlowski P, Tetzlaff W, et al. Quantifying the internal deformation of the rodent spinal cord during acute spinal cord injury – the validation of a method. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering. 2016;19(4):386–95.
- Bhatnagar T, Liu J, Yung A, Cripton PA, Kozlowski P, Tetzlaff W, Oxland TR. Relating Histopathology and Mechanical Strain in Experimental Contusion Spinal Cord Injury in a Rat Model. Journal of neurotrauma. 2016;(epub before print).
- Bhatnagar T, Liu J, Yung A, Cripton PA, Kozlowski P, Oxland T. In Vivo Measurement of Cervical Spinal Cord Deformation During Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury in a Rodent Model. Annals of Biomedical Engineering 2016;44(4):1285–1298.
- Ariza O, Gilchrist S, Widmer RP, Guy P, Ferguson SJ, Cripton PA, Helgason B. Comparison of explicit finite element and mechanical simulation of the proximal femur during dynamic drop-tower testing. Journal of Biomechanics. 2015;48(2):224–232.
- Streijger F, Lee JHT, Chak J, Dressler D, Manouchehri N, Okon EB, et al. The Effect of Whole-Body Resonance Vibration in a Porcine Model of Spinal Cord Injury. Journal of Neurotrauma. 2015;32(12):908–21.
- Tang T, Ebacher V, Cripton P, Guy P, McKay H, Wang R. Shear deformation and fracture of human cortical bone. Bone. 2015;71:25–35.
- Choi WJ, Cripton PA, Robinovitch SN. Effects of hip abductor muscle forces and knee boundary conditions on femoral neck stresses during simulated falls. Osteoporosis International. 2015;26(1):291–301.
- Cripton PA, Shen H, Brubacher JR, Chipman M, Friedman SM, Harris MA, Winters M, Reynolds CCO, Cusimano MD, Babul S, Teschke K. Severity of urban cycling injuries and the relationship with personal, trip, route and crash characteristics: analyses using four severity metrics. BMJ Open. 2015;5(1):e006654–e006654.
- Melnyk AD, Chak JD, Singh V, Kelly A, Cripton PA, Fisher CG, Dvorak MF, Oxland TR. Characterization of the behavior of a novel low-stiffness posterior spinal implant under anterior shear loading on a degenerative spinal model. European Spine Journal. 2015. doi10.1007/s00586-014-3735-7 (epub ahead of print)
- Melnyk AD, Kelly A, Chak JD, Wen TL, Cripton PA, Dvorak MF, Oxland TR. The effect of disc degeneration on anterior shear translation in the lumbar spine: effect of disc degeneration on translation. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 2015;33(4):450–457.