2021 Bursary announcement from the Division of Engineers and Geoscientists in the Resource Sectors
The Engineers and Geoscientists in the Resource Sector (EGIRS) Division of Engineers and Geoscientists BC are pleased to be able to offer TWO bursaries of $2000 each again this year to two deserving students. The bursary is intended to provide financial assistance to students in an accredited BC post-secondary (in at least their 3rd year) or post-graduate program related to engineering or geoscience in the resource sector. The applicant’s studies must relate to the practice of engineering and/or geoscience within the resource sector of BC (e.g. forestry, mining, resource extraction, natural hazards).
Winners of the awards will be provided free membership to the EGIRS Division for 2021. Benefits include: access to Division emails, free attendance for 2021-2022 Division webinar series, and access to Division resources.
- Applicants must be enrolled in at least the third year of an undergraduate program, or any year of a postgraduate program at a degree-granting institute of BC.
- The applicant’s studies must relate to the practice of engineering and/or geoscience within the resource sector (e.g. forestry, mining, resource extraction, natural hazards) of British Columbia.
- The applicant’s studies must prepare them for present or future enrolment for membership with Engineers and Geoscientists BC (i.e. as an EIT, GIT, P.Eng., P.Geo, or licensee).
Applicants to submit (in pdf format):
- A cover letter describing the applicant’s area of study and their career goals. The letter should include a contact address, phone number(s) and email address.
- Proof of enrolment letter and accompanying list of current courses and program of study.
- An original essay, approximately 5 pages long at a maximum of 1.5 line spacing, including figures and diagrams (literature cited section not included in the 5-page limit), on any topic related to engineering and/or geoscience in the resource sector of British Columbia. Note any submitted essay may be published on the Division’s website or be part of a membership email at the discretion of the executive.
Submissions should be emailed to the EGIRS Division Bursary Coordinator, Jenn Sabean, P.Geo., at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for receipt of applications is May 7, 2021.
Evaluation of applicants:
- The applicant must be in a relevant field of study for engineering and/or geoscience in the resource sector (e.g. forestry, mining, resource extraction, natural hazards).
- The applicant’s career goals must be relevant to the Division mission and objectives.
- The essay will be evaluated based on the following items:
- Addressing one or more of the Division mission/objectives
- Report organization, clarity, and quality of references
The bursaries will be awarded in approximately mid-August 2021. The Division may not award one or both bursaries, if suitable candidates are not found. Award winners from 2020 will not be considered for this year’s award. For additional information regarding the EGIRS Division or the bursary, please visit our website at https://www.egbc.ca/egirs-bursary or contact the Bursary Coordinator at email@example.com.