Schmidt Science Fellowships
The Schmidt Science Fellows program provides the world’s best emerging scientists with new skills and perspectives to develop novel solutions to society’s challenges, become scientific and societal thought leaders, and accelerate ground-breaking discoveries. The program is looking for the brightest minds in the natural sciences, mathematics, engineering, and computing who are interested in broadening their horizons. Fellows receive a stipend of $100,000 USD per year and are supported to pursue a one to two year postdoctoral placement at a world-leading laboratory anywhere in the world in a disciplinary pivot from their PhD. Fellows also benefit from a Global Meeting Series and personalized mentoring program.
UBC is one of select group of the world’s leading science and engineering institutions that are invited to nominate students to the international competition. In 2020, 22 Schmidt Science Fellows were selected to be recipients globally.
Given the highly competitive nature of this opportunity, each graduate program will nominate only an exceptional individual who will stand out amongst top applicants from around the world. Successful UBC nominees will be invited directly by the Schmidt Science Fellows program to submit a full application at a later date.
In order to be eligible for nomination and potential selection as a Schmidt Science Fellow, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Must have completed, or expect to complete, all the requirements for the conferral of their UBC PhD, including a successful defense, between 1 June 2021 and 30 July 2022. Prospective UBC students are not eligible for nomination.
- Have conducted their graduate degree in the natural sciences (Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Earth Sciences), Engineering, Mathematics, or Computing – and all sub-disciplines therein
- Be available for the entire period of the 2022 program, from July 2022 to September 2023 including attendance of the Global Meeting Series (whether virtual or in person, as conditions allow).
$100,000 USD per year, for up to two years.
Application deadline: A complete application will consist of the following, submitted as PDF documents attached to a single email, sent to email@example.com no later than 8:00AM Wednesday, April 21:
- CV, including publications (maximum three pages)
- A brief description of your PhD research (maximum one page)
- Personal Statement (maximum one page):
- Description of your leadership qualities, addressing the following two points: (a) character and leadership (genuine and demonstrable potential for science leadership; displaying perseverance, resilience, a moral compass, and a galvanizing force of personality) and (b) global ambition for social good (desire to use your personal talents and science to make a positive difference in society and the world)
- Proposal (maximum two pages), addressing the following points:
- Description of your proposed postdoctoral research direction, that represents a genuine, ambitious and innovative disciplinary departure from your PhD studies, with a clear goal towards gaining new skills in a new area and establishing field-leading interdisciplinary lines of research with potential for high reward and societal impact. When writing your proposal, please address the following two points: (a) alignment with the Schmidt Science Fellows program (i.e., interest in pursuing 12-24 months of postdoctoral study in a field different from your PhD discipline and a belief that interdisciplinary science and the taking of appropriate scientific risks are important for the advancement of discovery) and (b) collaborative spirit (i.e., demonstrated history of effective collaboration with diverse team members.
- Three short outlines of potential labs in which you may carry out this research.
- One letter of support (maximum 2 pages). The letter should be signed and on letterhead (where possible). The letter should address the evaluation criteria.
For further information about the opportunity, such as eligibility requirements, evaluation criteria and application procedures, please visit our webpage: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/schmidt-science-fellowships.