Adam Thomas Clare
MEng, PhD, FHEA, FIET; Royal Academy of Engineering Research Chair
- Manufacturing technologies and approaches for a sustainable future
- Additive manufacturing (materials, processes, design and application)
- Electrical discharge machining, electrolyte jet machining, electron beam and laser processes
- Stochastics in engineering design and manufacture
- Machine design and build
- Manufacturing for high value and high integrity applications (aerospace, biomedical, tool and nuclear)
Current Research Questions
- How can digital twins of additive manufacturing components be gathered and used to qualify components?
- Can stochastic design tools be used to create superior engineering components by additive manufacturing?
- What is the best method to produce conformal, high integrity functionally graded components?
- How can human cognitive design limits be overcome to exploit fully the freedoms of additive manufacturing?
- How can advanced manufacturing technologies be used secure a sustainable energy future?
- What is the smallest volume of material that can be removed in a subtractive process under ambient conditions?
- How can crystallographic ‘characteristics’ be evaluated on the factory floor?
Publications (reviews, useful for general reading)
- Speidel, I. Bisterov, K.K. Saxena, M. Zubayr, D. Reynaerts, W. Natsu, A. T. Clare (2022) Electrochemical jet manufacturing technology: From fundamentals to application International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture
- Sanchez, Z. Xu, G. Gaspard. C.J. Hyde, W.W. Wits, I.A. Ashcroft, H. Chen, P. Smith, A.T Clare (2021). Powder Bed Fusion of Nickel-based Superalloys: A Review International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture
- T. Clare, R Mishra, M. Merklein, H. Tan, I. Todd, J Li, L. Chechik, M. Bambach (2021) Alloy design and adaptation for additive manufacture. Journal of Materials Processing Technology
- Liao, A. la Monaca, J. Murray, A. Speidel, D. Ushmaev, A.T. Clare, D. Axinte, R. M’Saoubi (2021). Surface integrity in metal machining – Part I: Fundamentals of surface characteristics and formation mechanisms International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture.
- la Monaca Z. Liao, J. Murray, A. Speidel, D. Ushmaev, D. Axinte, M. Hardy, A.T. Clare* (2021). Surface integrity in metal machining – Part II: functional performance International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture.
Publications (research papers)
- H Groth, M. Magnini, C. Tuck, A.T Clare (2022) Stochastic Design for Additive Manufacture of True Biomimetic Populations Additive Manufacturing
- Bisterov, A. Speidel, A.T. Clare (2022) On-machine measurement with an electrochemical jet machine tool International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture
- Shamraze Ahmed, A. Speidel, J. W. Murray, N. Ahmed, M. Cuttell, A. T. Clare (2022) Electrolytic-Dielectrics: A route to zero recast Electrical Discharge Machining International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture (in press)
- Sanchez, C. J. Hyde, I. A. Ashcroft, R. G. Aswathanaraynaswamy, A. T. Clare* (2022) On the thermomechanical aging of LPBF alloy 718 Materials Engineering and Science A
- Speidel, L. Gargalis, J. Ye, M. J. Matthews, A. Spierings, R. Hague, A. T.Clare, J.W. Murray (2022) Chemical recovery of spent copper powder in laser powder bed fusion Additive Manufacturing
For a full list of publications, visit my profile on: