The Department of Mechanical Engineering at UBC Vancouver is a world leader in mechanical engineering and research. Offering strong undergraduate and graduate education, ranging from an award-winning, specialized second year program to unique courses spanning diverse research areas, the Department is made up of students and professors who push their limits.
Our faculty members hold multiple research chairs, investigate a variety of areas:
- Applied Solid Mechanics
- Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering
- Computational Engineering
- Energy & Environment
- Fluid Mechanics
- Manufacturing Automation and Robotics
- Mechatronics & Instrumentation
- Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
Their work spans many laboratories, and they perform cutting-edge research that keeps them at the forefront of their fields.
Members of the Department of Mechanical Engineering value:
- Professionalism and integrity
- Scholarship and teaching excellence
- Commitment to students
- Partnerships and collegiality
- Initiative, innovation, and willingness to change
- Community, the environment, and sustainability
We hold these values as an integral frame of reference to inform our decisions and actions.
We have released our 2022 Strategic Plan, which will guide our decision making through the next several years. The plan focuses on three themes:
- Prioritizing people
- Investing in research
- Making curriculum agile