Clarence de Silva
Professor and Senior Canada Research Chair in Mechatronics and Industrial Automation
B.Sc. Eng. (Hon 1, Ceylon); M.A.Sc. (Toronto); Ph.D. (MIT); Ph.D. (Cambridge); D.Eng. (Hon, Waterloo); D.Sc. (Hon, OUSL); Fellow of IEEE, ASME, ASI, CAE, & Royal Society of Canada; Distinguished Visiting Fellow of Royal Academy of Engineering
|phone:||(604) 822-6291 (office) | (604) 822-4850 (lab) | (778) 955-7837 (cell)|
|website:||Industrial Automation Laboratory|
- Multi-robot Systems and Applications including Homecare
- Process Automation
- Mechatronics; Integrated and Automated Design
- Control Sensors and Actuators
- Automated Machine Monitoring, Diagnosis, and Repair
- Environmental Monitoring
- Cooperative mobile robots for human rescue
- Haptic teleoperation and autonomous mobile robots in homecare applications
- Telehealth, telemedicine, and IMAGINE
- Intelligent sensor fusion for machine health monitoring and supervisory control
- Instrumentation of processes for monitoring and control (sensors, actuators, etc.)
- Computer vision applications in process control, and robotics
- Formal techniques for mechatronic system design and evaluation (Mechatronic Design Quotient or MDQ; Automated design evolution, etc.)
- Automated spatio-temporal monitoring of the quality of water sources
- Diagnosis and automated repair of pipelines
- Journal of Control and Intelligent Systems, Editor-in-Chief
- International Journal of Hybrid Intelligent Systems, Book Review Editor
- International Journal of Information Acquisition, Editorial Board
- S. Gao, C.W. de Silva, “Estimation distribution algorithms on constrained optimization problems,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, 339, pp.323-345, 2018.
- C. Wang, D. Zhu, T. Li, M.Q.H. Meng, C.W. Silva, “SRM: An Efficient Framework for Autonomous Robotic Exploration in Indoor Environments,” arXiv preprint arXiv:1812.09852, 2018.
- L. Falch, C.W. de Silva, “Fuzzy Techniques to Reduce Subjectivity and Combine Qualitative and Quantitative Criteria in a Multi-objective Design Problem,” In 2018 IEEE 9th Annual Information Technology, Electronics and Mobile Communication Conference (IEMCON) (pp. 42-48). IEEE, 2018.
- I.M. Gadala, M.S. Gadala, C.W. de Silva, “Automated design and optimization of industrial motion control machines: verification and a case-study,” In Journal of Physics: Conference Series (Vol. 1074, No. 1, p. 012181). IOP Publishing, 2018.
- S. Premasiri, C.W. de Silva, L.B. Gamage, “A Multi-sensor Data Fusion Approach for Sleep Apnea Monitoring using Neural Networks,” In 2018 IEEE 14th International Conference on Control and Automation (ICCA)(pp. 470-475). IEEE, 2018.
- C. Wang, T. Li, M.Q.H. Meng, C.W. De Silva, “Efficient Mobile Robot Exploration with Gaussian Markov Random Fields in 3D Environments,” In 2018 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA)(pp. 5015-5021). IEEE, 2018.
- L. Meng, F. Tung, J.J. Little, J. Valentin, C.W. de Silva, “Exploiting Points and Lines in Regression Forests for RGB-D Camera Relocalization,” In 2018 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) (pp. 6827-6834). IEEE, 2018.
- J. Chen, T. Li, T. Shu, C.W. De Silva, “Rapidly-Exploring Tree With Linear Reduction: A Near-Optimal Approach for Spatiotemporal Sensor Deployment in Aquatic Fields Using Minimal Sensor Nodes,” IEEE Sensors Journal, 18(24), pp.10225-10239, 2018.
- H. Lang, Y. Wang, C.W. de Silva, “Semi-empirical modeling and parameter analysis for the development of a high speed resistance-welding process,” International Journal of Modelling and Simulation, 38(3), pp.150-158, 2018.
- L. Falch, C.W. de Silva, “An Approach to Optimize Multiple Design Objectives With Qualitative and Quantitative Criteria for a Wearable Body Sensor System,” IEEE Sensors Journal, 18(23), pp.9708-9717, 2018.
- M. Xia, T. Li, L. Xu, L. Liu, C.W. de Silva, “Fault Diagnosis in Rotating Machinery through Multiple Sensors and Convolutional Neural Networks,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 2017.
- M. Xia, T. Li, L. Liu, L. Xu, S. Gao, C.W. de Silva, “Remaining useful life prediction of rotating machinery using hierarchical deep neural network,” In 2017 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC) (pp. 2778-2783). IEEE, 2017.
- T. Li, M. Xia, J. Chen, S. Gao, C.W. de Silva, “A hexagonal grid-based sampling planner for aquatic environmental monitoring using unmanned surface vehicles,” In 2017 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC) (pp. 3683-3688). IEEE, 2017.
- S. Gao, C.W. de Silva, “A univariate marginal distribution algorithm based on extreme elitism and its application to the robotic inverse displacement problem,” Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines, 18(3), pp.283-312, 2017.
- C. Wang, L. Meng, T. Li, M.Q.H. Meng, C.W. De Silva,”Towards autonomous exploration with information potential field in 3D environments,” In 2017 18th International Conference on Advanced Robotics (ICAR) (pp. 340-345). IEEE, 2017.
- Khoshnoud, I.I. Esat, C.W. de Silva, M.M. McKerns, H. Owhadi, “Self-powered Dynamic Systems in the Framework of Optimal Uncertainty Quantification,” Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Transactions of ASME, 2017.
- A. Saliba, C.W. de Silva, “Quasi-dynamic Analysis, Design Optimization, and Evaluation of a Two-finger Underactuated Hand,” Mechatronics, vol. 33, pp. 93-107, 2016.
- M.K. Tabatabaei, S. Behbahani, C.W. de Silva, “Design Evolution and Synthesis of Multi-domain Engineering Systems Using Artificial Immune System,” Mechatronics, vol. 39, pp. 103-112, 2016.
- Samarakoon, L. Gamage, C.W. de Silva, “Design Evolution of Engineering Systems Using Bond Graphs and Genetic Programming,” Mechatronics, vol. 33C, pp. 71-83, 2016.
- De Silva, C.W., MODELING OF DYNAMIC SYSTEMS—With Engineering Applications, Taylor & Francis/CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2017.
- De Silva, C.W., SENSOR SYSTEMS—Fundamentals and Applications, Taylor & Francis/CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2017.
- De Silva, C.W., SENSORS AND ACTUATORS—Engineering System Instrumentation, 2nd Edition, Taylor & Francis/CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2016.
- De Silva, C.W., Mechanics of Materials, Taylor & Francis/CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2014.
- De Silva, C.W., Mechatronics—A Foundation Course, Taylor & Francis/CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2010.
For a full list of publications, visit my profile on: