B.Sc. (Univ. of Wales), M.Sc. (Oxon), D.Phil. (Oxon), C.Math.
My research interests are in non-Newtonian fluid mechanics and understanding industrial processes that exploit the non-Newtonian properties of fluids. In particular I am interested in the mechanics of visco-plastic (yield stress) fluids. Many of the industrial research projects come from the petroleum industry. Areas of keen interest here are centered around cementing of wells, preventing leakage and techniques for the eventual abandonment – issues related to GHG emission control and long-term environmental protection.
Methodologically, my group conducts research that combines mathematical, experimental and computational approaches. Many of the results of our research are described the publications of my group and our research collaborators. Research is carried out in the Complex Fluids Lab at UBC, in a strongly interdisciplinary environment. My group typically consists of 10 or more graduate students and postdocs, some internships are typically available in Summer.
- A. Renteria, I.A. Frigaard, “Primary cementing of horizontal wells. Displacement flows in eccentric horizontal annuli part 1: experiments.” Journal of Fluid Mech., 905, A7, (2020).
- M. Bizhani, Y. Foolad, I.A. Frigaard, “Turbulent displacement flow of viscoplastic fluids in eccentric annulus: Experiments.” Physics of Fluids, 32: 045117 (2020).
- J. Iglesias, G. Mercier, E. Chaparian, I.A. Frigaard, “Computing the Yield Limit in Three-dimensional Flows of a Yield Stress Fluid About a Settling Particle.” J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech., 284: 104374, 2020
- A. Etrati, A. Roustaei, I.A. Frigaard,” Strategies for mud-removal from washouts during cementing of surface casing” J. Petr. Sci. Engng., 195: 107454, 2020
- A. Sarraf-Shirazi, I.A. Frigaard, “Gravel packing: how does it work?” Physics of Fluids, 32: 053308 (2020).
- A. Maleki, I.A. Frigaard, “Rapid classification of primary cementing flows?” Chem. Eng. Sci., 219, 115506, (2020).
- P. Sarmadi, I.A. Frigaard, “Inertial effects in triple layer core-annular pipe flow.” Phys. Fluids, 31(10):103102, 2019.
- P. Sarmadi, O. Mierka, S. Turek, S. Hormozi, I.A. Frigaard, “Three dimensional simulation of flow development of triple-layer lubricated pipeline transport” J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech., 274:104201, 2019.
- E. Trudel, M. Bizhani, M. Zare, I.A. Frigaard, “Plug and abandonment practices and trends: a British Columbia perspective” J. Petrol. Sci. Engng., 183 106417, (2019).
- I.A. Frigaard, A. Renteria, “Stability of flows with the BMP model in the yield stress limit” Korea and Australia Rheology Journal, 31(4), 211-228, (2019).
- P. Sarmadi, I.A. Frigaard, “Stable core-annular flows in inaccessible domains via a triple-layer configuration.” Chem. Eng. Sci. X, 3, 100028, (2019)
- A. Sarraf-Shirazi, I.A. Frigaard, “A Three Layer Model for Solids Transport in Pipes”, Chem. Eng. Sci., 205, 374-390, (2019)
- O. Oladosu, A. Hasnain, P. Brown, I. Frigaard, K. Alba, “Density-Stable Displacement Flow of Immiscible Fluids in Inclined Pipes.” Physical Review Fluids, 4, 044007 (2019).
- I.A. Frigaard, “Simple Yield Stress Fluids.” Invited paper for Current Opinions on Colloidal and Interface Science, 43, 80-93, (2019).
- I.A. Frigaard, C. Nouar, “Onset of flow in a vibrated thin viscoplastic layer.” J. non-Newtonian Fluid Mech., 266, 95-101, (2019).
- A. Maleki, I.A. Frigaard, “Comparing Laminar and Turbulent Primary Cementing Flows” J. Petrol. Sci. Engng., 177, 808-821, (2019).
- E. Chaparian, A. Wachs, I.A. Frigaard, “Inline motion and hydrodynamic interaction of 2D particles in a viscoplastic fluid,” Physics of Fluids, 30(3), p.033101, 2018.
- A. Etrati, K. Alba, I.A. Frigaard, “Two-layer displacement flow of miscible fluids with viscosity ratio: Experiments,” Physics of Fluids, 30(5), p.052103, 2018.
- A. Etrati, I.A. Frigaard, “A two-layer model for buoyant inertial displacement flows in inclined pipes,” Physics of Fluids, 30(2), p.022107, 2018.
- P. Sarmadi, S. Hormozi, I.A. Frigaard, “Flow development and interface sculpting in stable lubricated pipeline transport,” Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 261, pp.60-80, 2018.
- N. Hanachi, A. Maleki, I.A. Frigaard, “A model for foamed cementing of oil and gas wells,” Journal of Engineering Mathematics, 113(1), pp.93-121, 2018.
- A. Renteria, A. Maleki, I.A. Frigaard, B. Lund, A. Taghipour, J.D. Ytrehus, “Displacement Efficiency for Primary Cementing of Washout Sections in Highly Deviated Wells,” In SPE Asia Pacific Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition. Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2018.
- I.A. Frigaard, A. Maleki, “Tracking Fluid Interface in Carbon Capture and Storage Cement Placement Application,” In ASME 2018 37th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering (pp. V008T11A060-V008T11A060). American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2018.
- A. Maleki, I.A. Frigaard, “Tracking fluid interfaces in primary cementing of surface casing,” Physics of Fluids, 30(9), p.093104, 2018.
- A. Maleki, I.A. Frigaard, “Turbulent displacement flows in primary cementing of oil and gas wells,” Physics of Fluids, 30(12), p.123101, 2018.
- A. Etrati, I.A. Frigaard, “Viscosity effects in density-stable miscible displacement flows: Experiments and simulations,” Physics of Fluids, 30(12), p.123104, 2018.
- T. Treskatis, A. Roustaei, I.A. Frigaard, A. Wachs, “Practical guidelines for fast, efficient and robust simulations of yield-stress flows without regularisation: A study of accelerated proximal gradient and augmented Lagrangian methods,” Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 262, pp.149-164, 2018.
- A.S. Shirazi, I.A. Frigaard, “A New Three-Layer Model for Horizontal Slurry Flow,” 2018.
- M. Zare, I.A. Frigaard, “Onset of miscible and immiscible fluids’ invasion into a viscoplastic fluid,” Physics of Fluids, 30(6), p.063101, 2018.
- I.A. Frigaard, K.G. Paso, P.R. de Souza Mendes, “Bingham’s model in the oil and gas industry,” Rheologica Acta, 56(3), pp.259-282, 2017.
- E. Chaparian, I.A. Frigaard, “Yield limit analysis of particle motion in a yield-stress fluid,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 819, pp.311-351, 2017.
- A. Maleki, I.A. Frigaard, “Primary cementing of oil and gas wells in turbulent and mixed regimes,” Journal of Engineering Mathematics, 107(1), pp.201-230, 2017.
- E. Chaparian, I.A. Frigaard, “Cloaking: Particles in a yield-stress fluid,” Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 243, pp.47-55, 2017.
- I.A. Frigaard, J.A. Iglesias, G. Mercier, C. Pöschl, O. Scherzer, “Critical yield numbers of rigid particles settling in Bingham fluids and Cheeger sets,” SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, 77(2), pp.638-663, 2017.
- P. Sarmadi, S. Hormozi, I.A. Frigaard, “Triple-layer configuration for stable high-speed lubricated pipeline transport,” Physical Review Fluids, 2(4), p.044302, 2017.
- G. Goyal, G.J. Elfring, I.A. Frigaard, “Rheology and flow studies of drag-reducing gravel packing fluids,” Rheologica Acta, 56(11), pp.905-914, 2017.
- D.M. Martinez, J.A. Olson, A. Madani, I.A. Frigaard, D. Farajisarir, J. Lockhart, “Method and apparatus for continuously fractionating particles contained within a viscoplastic fluid,” U.S. Patent 9,849,466, 2017.
- S.A. Ale Etrati Khosroshahi, I.A. Frigaard, “Buoyant miscible displacement flow of shear-thinning fluids: Experiments and Simulations,” In APS Meeting Abstracts, 2017.
- P. Sarmadi, S. Hormozi, I.A. Frigaard, “Viscoplastic sculpting in stable triple layer heavy oil transport flow,” In APS Meeting Abstracts, 2017.
- A. Wachs, I.A. Frigaard, “Particle settling in yield stress fluids: Limiting time, distance and applications,” Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 238, pp.189-204, 2016.
- N. J. Balmforth, I. A. Frigaard, G. Ovarlez, “Yielding to stress: Recent developments in viscoplastic fluid mechanics,” Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 46, pp. 121–146, 2014.
- J. Bélair, I.A. Frigaard, H. Kunze, R. Makarov, R. Melnik, R.J. Spiteri, Mathematical and computational approaches in advancing modern science and engineering, Springer, 2017.