B.A.Sc. (Toronto); M.S. (Stanford); Ph.D. (Stanford); Postdoctoral Fellowship (Stanford)
|website:||SimPL (Sensing in Biomechanical Processes Lab)|
- Injury Biomechanics
- Soft Tissue Biomechanics
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Sleep Biomechanics
- Sensors and Instrumentation
- Data Mining and Machine Learning
Current Research Work
The general goal of the lab is to develop novel sensing and data analytics to study the biomechanics of the human body in health and disease states. One main research area is brain injury or concussion biomechanics, where we employ sensing, modeling, and machine learning tools to study the mechanism of traumatic brain injury. Other areas include the development of novel sensors and algorithms to study sleep disorders such as obstructive sleep apnea.
- Ozkaya, E., Fabris, G., Macruz, F., Suar, Z.M., Abderezaei, J., Su, B., Laksari, K., Wu, L.C., Camarillo, D.B., Pauly, K.B. and Wintermark, M. Viscoelasticity of children and adolescent brains through MR elastography. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, In Press. (2020)
- Tierney, G.J., Kuo, C., Wu, L.C., Weaving, D. and Camarillo, D. Analysis of head acceleration events in collegiate-level American football: A combination of qualitative video analysis and in-vivo head kinematic measurement. Journal of Biomechanics, 110, p.109969. (2020)
- Lv, H., Kurt, M., Zeng, N., Ozkaya, E., Marcuz, F., Wu, L.C., Laksari, K., Camarillo, D.B., Pauly, K.B., Wang, Z. and Wintermark, M., 2020. MR elastography frequency–dependent and independent parameters demonstrate accelerated decrease of brain stiffness in elder subjects. European Radiology, 30(12), pp.6614-6623. (2020)
- Ozkaya E., Marcuz F., Suar Z.M., Fabris G., Su B., Laksari K., Wu L.C., Camarillo D.B., Pauly K.B., Wintermark M. Viscoelasticity of Children and Adolescent Brains through MR Elastography. Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials. Accepted. (2020).
- Wu, L.C., Sports concussions: can head impact sensors help biomedical engineers design better headgear?. British Journal of Sports Medicine. In Press. (2019).
- Fanton, M., Wu, L.C., Camarillo D.B. Comment on “Frequency and Magnitude of Game-Related Head Impacts in Male Contact Sports Athletes: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Sports Medicine. In Press. (2019).
- Laksari, K., Fanton, M., Wu, L.C., et al. Multi-directional dynamic model for traumatic brain injury detection. Journal of Neurotrauma. In Press. (2019).
- Kurt, M., Wu, L.C., et al., Optimization of a Multi-Frequency MR Elastography Protocol for the Human Brain. Journal of Neuroimaging. Accepted. (2019).
- Wu, L.C., et al. A Review of Magnetic Particle Imaging and Perspectives on Neuroimaging. American Journal of Neuroradiology. In Press. (2019).
- Miller, L.E., Pinkerton, E.K., Fabian, K.C., Wu, L.C., et al. Characterizing Head Impact Exposure in Youth Female Soccer with a Custom-Instrumented Mouthpiece. Research in Sports Medicine, pp.1-17. (2019).
- Kuo, C., Wu, L.C., Zhao, W., Fanton, M., Ji, S., Camarillo, D.B., Propagation of errors from skull kinematic measurements to finite element tissue responses. Biomechanics and modeling in mechanobiology, 17(1), pp.235-247. (2018).
- Kuo, C., Wu, L.C., Loza, J., Senif, D., Anderson, S.C. Camarillo, D.B., Comparison of Video-based and Sensor-based Head Impact Exposure. PloS one, 13(6), p.e0199238. (2018).
- Kuo, C., Fanton, M., Wu, L.C., Camarillo, D., Spinal Constraint Modulates Head Instantaneous Center of Rotation and Dictates Head Angular Motion. Journal of Biomechanics, 76, pp.220-228. (2018).
- Laksari, K., Fanton, M., Wu, L.C., Nguyen, T.H., Kurt, M., Giordano, C., Kelly, E., O’Keeffe, E., Wallace, E., Doherty, C. and Campbell, M., 2018. Multi-directional dynamic model for traumatic brain injury detection. arXiv preprint arXiv:1812.07731. (2018).
- Wu, L.C., et al., Detection of American Football Head Impacts Using Biomechanical Features and Support Vector Machine Classification. Scientific Reports. 8(1), 855. (2017).
- Kuo, C., Wu, L.C., Zhao, W., Fanton, M., Ji, S., & Camarillo, D. B. Propagation of errors from skull kinematic measurements to finite element tissue responses. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology. 17(1), 235-247 (2017).
- Miller L.E., Kuo C., Wu, L.C., Urban J.E., Camarillo D.B., Stitzel J.D. Validation of a Custom Instrumented Retainer Form Factor for Measuring Linear and Angular Head Impact Kinematics. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. 140(5), 054501. (2017).
- Wu, L.C., et al., Bandwidth and Sample Rate Requirements for Wearable Head Impact Sensors. Journal of Biomechanics. 49(13), 2918-2924 (2016).
- Kuo, C.*, Wu, L.C.*, Ye, P. P.*, et al. Pilot findings of brain displacements and deformations during roller coaster rides. Journal of Neurotrauma. 34(22), 3198-3205. (2017). *Equal contribution.
- Zhao, W., Kuo, C., Wu, L.C., Camarillo, D. B., & Ji, S. Performance evaluation of a pre-computed brain response atlas in dummy head impacts. Annals of biomedical engineering. 45(10), 2437-2450. (2017).
- Kuo, C., Wu, L.C., et al., Effect of the Mandible on Mouthguard Measurements of Head Kinematics. Journal of Biomechanics. 49(9), 1845-53 (2016).
- Wu, L.C., et al., In vivo Evaluation of Wearable Head Impact Sensors. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 44(4), 1234-45 (2015). Editor’s Choice Award.
- Laksari, K., Wu, L.C., et al., Resonance of Human Brain Under Head Acceleration. Journal of the Royal Society Interface. 12(108), 20150331 (2015).
- Hernandez, F., Wu, L.C., et al. Six Degree of Freedom Measurements of Human Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 43(8), 1918-34 (2015).
- Wu, L.C., Zarnescu, L., Nangia, V., Cam, B., Camarillo, D. A Head Impact Detection System Using SVM Classification and Proximity Sensing in an Instrumented Mouthguard. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 61 (11), 2659–68 (2014). Feature Article.