Machiel Van der Loos
Due to my retirement, I am no longer accepting new graduate students, and will NOT respond to any requests to review applications.
Associate Professor Emeritus
P.Eng; Dipl. Ingénieur, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland (1978); Eng. Degree, Stanford University (1984); PhD, Stanford University (1992)
Director, Collaborative Advanced Robotics and Intelligent Systems (CARIS) Lab; Associate Faculty Member, School of Biomedical Engineering; Member, UBC Institute for Computing, Information, and Cognitive Systems (ICICS); Faculty Affiliate, Masters of Digital Media Program, Great Northern Way Campus; Faculty Affiliate, Neuroethics Canada
- Rehabilitation Robotics
- Human-Robot Interaction
- Design for Safety
- Design Methodology and Design Coaching
Recent Research Work
- Inherently safe design of mobile manipulation robotic systems.
- Development of human-robot interactions in semi-autonomous fabrication systems in industry.
- Development of robotic tools for improved understanding and treatment of human balance disorders.
- Exploration of ethical design principles for robot interfaces and neurotechnologies.
- W.P. Chan, C.P. Quintero, M.K.X.J. Pan, M. Sakr, H.F.M. Van der Loos, E. Croft, “A multimodal system using augmented reality, gestures, and tactile feedback for robot trajectory programming and execution”, Virtual Reality, 142-158, 2022.
- M. Sakr, J. Lee, H.F.M. Van der Loos, D. Kulić, E. Croft, “Quantifying demonstration quality for robot learning and generalization,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 7 (4), 9659-9666, 2022.
- W. Chan, G. Hanks, M. Sakr, H. Zhang, T. Zuo, H.F.M. Van der Loos, E. Croft, “Design and evaluation of an augmented reality head-mounted display interface for human robot teams collaborating in physically shared manufacturing tasks,” ACM Transactions on Human-Robot Interaction, 2022. https://doi.org/10.48550/arXiv.2203.08343
- M. Khalili, G. Kryt, W.B. Mortenson, H.F. M. Van der Loos, J. Borisoff, “Comparison of manual wheelchair and pushrim-activated power-assisted wheelchair propulsion characteristics during common over-ground maneuvers,” Sensors, vol. 21, No. 21, Oct., 2021. https://doi.org/10.3390/s21217008
- N.J. Hetherington, E. Croft, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Hey robot, which way are you going? Nonverbal motion legibility cues for human-robot interaction,” IEEE Robotics & Automation Letters, 6:3, July, 2021, pp. 5010-5015.
- A. Moon, S. Rismani, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Ethics of corporeal, co-present robots as agents of influence: a review,” Current Robotics Reports, Springer-Verlag, 2, pp. 223–229, 2021.
- L. Shum, B.A. Valdés, N. Hodges, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Error augmentation in immersive virtual reality for bimanual upper-limb rehabilitation in individuals with and without hemiplegic cerebral palsy.” IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, Dec 2019.
- L. Shum, B. Valdés, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Accuracy of Oculus Touch controllers for motor rehabilitation applications using quantifiable upper limb kinematics: Validation study,” Journal of Medical Internet Research – Biomedical Engineering (JMIR-BME), 2019;4(1):e12291.
- Ali, G. Rigney, S.K. Weiss, C.A. Brown, E. Constantin, R. Godbout, A. Hanlon-Dearman, O. Ipsiroglu, G.J. Reid, S. Shea, I.M. Smith, H.F.M. Van der Loos, P. Corkum, “Optimizing an Ehealth insomnia intervention for children with neurodevelopmental disorders: A Delphi study,” Sleep Health, 4 2018, pp. 224–234.
- R. Tisserand, C.J. Dakin, H.F.M. Van der Loos, E.A. Croft, T.J. Inglis, J.S. Blouin, “Down regulation of vestibular balance stabilizing mechanisms to enable transition between motor states,” Elife, 7, p.e36123, 2018.
- B.A. Valdés, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Biofeedback vs. game scores for reducing trunk compensation after stroke: a randomized crossover trial,” Topics in stroke rehabilitation, 25(2), pp.96-113, 2018.
- B.A. Valdes, S.M. Glegg, N. Lambert-Shirzad, A.N. Schneider, J. Marr, R. Bernard, K. Lohse, A.M. Hoens, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Application of commercial games for home-based rehabilitation for people with hemiparesis: Challenges and lessons learned,” Games for health journal, 7(3), pp.197-207, 2018.
- C.P. Quintero, S. Li, M.K. Pan, W.P. Chan, H.F.M. Van der Loos, E. Croft, “Robot Programming Through Augmented Trajectories in Augmented Reality,” In 2018 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) (pp. 1838-1844). IEEE, 2018.
- F. Gheorghe, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Integrating Human Factors and Usability Testing into Medical Device Risk Management,” CMBES Proceedings, 37, 2018.
- W. Uddin, M. Sakr, C.P. Quintero, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Orthographic Vision-based Interface for Robot Arm Teleoperation,” 2018.
- B.A. Valdés, A.N. Schneider, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Reducing trunk compensation in stroke survivors: a randomized crossover trial comparing visual and force feedback modalities,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 98(10), pp.1932-1940, 2017.
- B.A. Valdés, S.M. Glegg, and H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Trunk compensation during bimanual reaching at different heights by healthy and hemiparetic adults,” Journal of Motor Behavior, e49(5), pp.580-592, 2017.
- H.F.M. Van der Loos, W.B. Mortenson, M. Khalili, J. Borisoff, “Exoskeletons as an assistive technology for mobility and manipulation,” In Robotic Assistive Technologies (pp. 179-218). CRC Press, 2017.
- N. Lambert-Shirzad, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “An empirical study of factorization methods to quantify motor synergies,” In Converging Clinical and Engineering Research on Neurorehabilitation II (pp. 1145-1149). Springer, Cham, 2017.
- S. Rismani, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Improving needs-finding techniques for medical device development at low resource environments using Activity Theory,” In DS 87-1 Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED 17) Vol 1: Resource Sensitive Design, Design Research Applications and Case Studies, Vancouver, Canada, 21-25.08. (pp. 249-258), 2017.
- S.M. Glegg, C.T. Hung, B.A. Valdés, B.D.G. Kim, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Kinecting the Moves: The kinematic potential of rehabilitation-specific gaming to inform treatment for hemiplegia,” Journal of Child Health and Human Development, 9(3), 2016.
- N. Shirzad, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Evaluating the user experience of exercising reaching motions with a robot that predicts desired movement difficulty,” Journal of Motor Behavior, May 6, 2015, pp. 1-16.
- T.P. Huryn, J.-S. Blouin, M.Koehle, E.A. Croft, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Experimental performance evaluation of human balance control models,” IEEE-Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 22(7), pp. 1115-1127, Nov. 2014.
- A.J. Hodgson, R.C. Tam, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “‘ Engineers in Scrubs’-A New Graduate Training Program for Biomedical Engineers at the University of British Columbia,” Journal of Medical Devices, 2014.
- W.P. Chan, C.A. Parker, H.F.M. Van der Loos, E.A. Croft, “A human-inspired object handover controller,” The International Journal of Robotics Research, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 971–983, 2013.
- Aj. Moon, C.A. Parker, E.A. Croft, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Design and Impact of Hesitation Gestures during Human-Robot Resource Conflicts,” Journal of Human-Robot Interaction, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 18–40, 2013.