Machiel Van der Loos
P.Eng; Dipl. Ingénieur, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland (1978); Eng. Degree, Stanford University (1984); PhD, Stanford University (1992)
Director, Collaborative Advanced Robotics and Intelligent Systems (CARIS) Lab; Associate Faculty Member, School of Biomedical Engineering; Member, UBC Institute for Computing, Information, and Cognitive Systems (ICICS); Faculty Affiliate, Masters of Digital Media Program, Great Northern Way Campus; Faculty Affiliate, National Core for Neuroethics
- Rehabilitation Robotics
- Human-Robot Interaction
- Design for Safety
- Design Methodology and Design Coaching
Current Research Work
- Inherently safe design of mobile manipulation robotic systems.
- Development of human-robot interactions in semi-autonomous fabrication systems in industry.
- Development of robotic tools for improved understanding and treatment of human balance disorders.
- Exploration of ethical design principles for robot interfaces and neurotechnologies.
- L. Shum, B.A. Valdés, N. Hodges, H.F.M. Van der Loos, Error augmentation in immersive virtual reality for bimanual upper-limb rehabilitation in individuals with and without hemiplegic cerebral palsy. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, Dec 2019.
- L. Shum, B. Valdés, H.F.M. Van der Loos, Accuracy of Oculus Touch controllers for motor rehabilitation applications using quantifiable upper limb kinematics: Validation study, Journal of Medical Internet Research – Biomedical Engineering (JMIR-BME), 2019;4(1):e12291.
- Ali, G. Rigney, S.K. Weiss, C.A. Brown, E. Constantin, R. Godbout, A. Hanlon-Dearman, O. Ipsiroglu, G.J. Reid, S. Shea, I.M. Smith, H.F.M. Van der Loos, P. Corkum, Optimizing an Ehealth insomnia intervention for children with neurodevelopmental disorders: A Delphi study, Sleep Health, 4 2018, pp. 224–234.
- R. Tisserand, C.J. Dakin, H.F.M. Van der Loos, E.A. Croft, T.J. Inglis, J.S. Blouin, “Down regulation of vestibular balance stabilizing mechanisms to enable transition between motor states,” Elife, 7, p.e36123, 2018.
- B.A. Valdés, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Biofeedback vs. game scores for reducing trunk compensation after stroke: a randomized crossover trial,” Topics in stroke rehabilitation, 25(2), pp.96-113, 2018.
- B.A. Valdes, S.M. Glegg, N. Lambert-Shirzad, A.N. Schneider, J. Marr, R. Bernard, K. Lohse, A.M. Hoens, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Application of commercial games for home-based rehabilitation for people with hemiparesis: Challenges and lessons learned,” Games for health journal, 7(3), pp.197-207, 2018.
- C.P. Quintero, S. Li, M.K. Pan, W.P. Chan, H.F.M. Van der Loos, E. Croft, “Robot Programming Through Augmented Trajectories in Augmented Reality,” In 2018 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) (pp. 1838-1844). IEEE, 2018.
- F. Gheorghe, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Integrating Human Factors and Usability Testing into Medical Device Risk Management,” CMBES Proceedings, 37, 2018.
- N. Shirzad, J. Soicher, Q. Guo, C. Jin, Y. Hsiang, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Design of an Ergonomic Electrosurgery Smoke Evacuator: A Case Study for Design of Medical Devices,” CMBES Proceedings, 37, 2018.
- Y. Du, N.J. Hetherington, C.L. Oon, W.P. Chan, C.P. Quintero, E. Croft, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Sidewalk Delivery Robot Navigation: A Pedestrian-Based Approach”, 2018.
- W. Uddin, M. Sakr, C.P. Quintero, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Orthographic Vision-based Interface for Robot Arm Teleoperation,” 2018.
- B.A. Valdés, A.N. Schneider, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Reducing trunk compensation in stroke survivors: a randomized crossover trial comparing visual and force feedback modalities,” Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation, 98(10), pp.1932-1940, 2017.
- B.A. Valdés, S.M. Glegg, and H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Trunk compensation during bimanual reaching at different heights by healthy and hemiparetic adults,” Journal of motor behavior, 49(5), pp.580-592, 2017.
- H.F.M. Van der Loos, W.B. Mortenson, M. Khalili, J. Borisoff, “Exoskeletons as an assistive technology for mobility and manipulation,” In Robotic Assistive Technologies (pp. 179-218). CRC Press, 2017.
- N. Lambert-Shirzad, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “An empirical study of factorization methods to quantify motor synergies,” In Converging Clinical and Engineering Research on Neurorehabilitation II (pp. 1145-1149). Springer, Cham, 2017.
- M. Khalili, J.F. Borisoff, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Developing safe fall strategies for lower limb exoskeletons,” In 2017 International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR) (pp. 314-319). IEEE, 2017.
- S. Rismani, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Improving needs-finding techniques for medical device development at low resource environments using Activity Theory,” In DS 87-1 Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED 17) Vol 1: Resource Sensitive Design, Design Research Applications and Case Studies, Vancouver, Canada, 21-25.08. (pp. 249-258), 2017.
- N. Lambert-Shirzad, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Data sample size needed for analysis of kinematic and muscle synergies in healthy and stroke populations,” In 2017 International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR)(pp. 777-782). IEEE, 2017.
- S. Li, C. Shing, Y. Coady, H.F.M. Van der Loos, E. Croft, “CAD-AR: An Intuitive Robotic Teaching Pendant for Skill-based Industrial Robot Programming,” 2017.
- S.M. Glegg, C.T. Hung, B.A. Valdés, B.D.G. Kim, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Kinecting the Moves: The kinematic potential of rehabilitation-specific gaming to inform treatment for hemiplegia,” Journal of Child Health and Human Development, 9(3), 2016.
- N. Shirzad, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Evaluating the user experience of exercising reaching motions with a robot that predicts desired movement difficulty,” Journal of Motor Behavior, May 6, 2015, pp. 1-16.
- M. Lam, S. Tatla, K. Lohse, N. Shirzad, A. Hoens, K. Miller, N. Virji-Babul, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Perceptions of technology and its use for therapeutic exercises: Findings from focus group discussions with children with cerebral palsy, their parents and adults post-stroke,” Journal of Medical Internet Research – Rehabilitation, 2/1, 2015.
- T.P. Huryn, J.-S. Blouin, M.Koehle, E.A. Croft, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Experimental performance evaluation of human balance control models,” IEEE-Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 22(7), pp. 1115-1127, Nov. 2014.
- A.J. Hodgson, R.C. Tam, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “‘ Engineers in Scrubs’-A New Graduate Training Program for Biomedical Engineers at the University of British Columbia,” Journal of Medical Devices, 2014.
- K.R. Lohse, C.G. Hilderman, K.L. Cheung, S. Tatla, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Virtual Reality Therapy for Adults Post-Stroke: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis Exploring Virtual Environments and Commercial Games in Therapy,” PloS one, vol. 9, no. 3, p. e93318, 2014.
- W.P. Chan, C.A. Parker, H.F.M. Van der Loos, E.A. Croft, “A human-inspired object handover controller,” The International Journal of Robotics Research, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 971–983, 2013.
- Aj. Moon, C.A. Parker, E.A. Croft, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Design and Impact of Hesitation Gestures during Human-Robot Resource Conflicts,” Journal of Human-Robot Interaction, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 18–40, 2013.