B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (University of Trento, Italy), Postdoctoral Fellowship (University of California, Santa Barbara).
- Micromechanics of Soft Solid Matter
Current Research Work
- Mechanobiology and soft materials (cytoskeleton, hydrogels, etc.)
- Mechanics of puncture and cutting
- Khungura, H., & Bacca, M. (2021). The role of interfacial curvature in controlling the detachment strength of bioinspired fibrillar adhesives. Mechanics of Materials, 160, 103914. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.MECHMAT.2021.103914
Fregonese, S., & Bacca, M. (2021). Piercing soft solids: A mechanical theory for needle insertion. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 154, 104497. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JMPS.2021.104497
- Helisaz, H., Bacca, M., & Chiao, M. (2021). Quasi-linear viscoelastic characterization of soft tissue-mimicking materials. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 143(6). https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4050036/1097186
- H. Khungura, M. Bacca (2020) “Optimal load sharing in bioinspired fibrillar adhesives: Asymptotic solution” Journal of Applied Mechanics 88(3), 031004.
- X Yan, J, Reiner, M. Bacca, Y. Altintas, R. Vaziri (2019) “A study of energy dissipating mechanisms in orthogonal cutting of UD-CFRP composites,” Composite Structures 220: 460-472.
- M. Bacca, O.A. Saleh, and R.M. McMeeking (2019) “Contraction of polymer gels created by the activity of molecular motors,” Soft Matter 15: 4467 – 44751.
- J.A. Booth, M. Bacca, R.M. McMeeking, and K.L. Foster, “Benefit of Backing‐Layer Compliance in Fibrillar Adhesive Patches—Resistance to Peel Propagation in the Presence of Interfacial Misalignment,” Advanced Materials Interfaces, p.1800272, May 2018.
- K. Chen, A. Vigliotti, M. Bacca, R.M. McMeeking, V.S. Deshpande, J.W. Holmes, “Role of boundary conditions in determining cell alignment in response to stretch,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 115, 986-991, 2018.
- J.A. Booth, M. Bacca, R.M. McMeeking, K.L. Foster “Benefit of Backing‐Layer Compliance in Fibrillar Adhesive Patches—Resistance to Peel Propagation in the Presence of Interfacial Misalignment,” Advanced Materials Interfaces, 1800272, 2018.
- M. Bacca, C. Creton, R.M. McMeeking, “A model for the Mullins effect in multi-network elastomers,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 84, 121009, 2017.
- M. Bacca, R.M. McMeeking, “A viscoelastic constitutive law for hydrogels,” Meccanica, pp. 1–11, 2017.
- M. Bacca, N.A. Fleck, R.M. McMeeking “A swell toughening strategy for elastomers having surface cracks,” Extreme Mechanics Letters, vol. 10, pp. 32–40, 2017.
- M. Bacca, J.A. Booth, K.L. Turner, R.M. McMeeking, “Load sharing in bioinspired fibrillar adhesives with backing layer interactions and interfacial misalignment,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, vol. 96, pp. 428–444, 2016.
- M. Bacca, R.M. McMeeking, “Latent heat saturation in microstructural evolution by severe plastic deformation,” International Journal of Plasticity, vol. 83, pp. 74–89.
- M. Bacca, D. R. Hayhurst, R. M. McMeeking, “Continuous dynamic recrystallization during severe plastic deformation,” Mechanics of Materials, vol. 90, pp. 148-156, 2015.