Jointly appointed in the Institute for Resources, Environment and Sustainability
B.A.Sc. (University of Toronto), M.S. (MIT), Ph.D. (MIT), Postdoctoral Appointment (MIT, Harvard)
My research addresses challenges at the interface of environmental modelling and policy through an interdisciplinary lens, with a focus on air pollution and toxics. How can we use simulation, statistical, and qualitative methods to assess the environmental and health impacts of technology and policy? How do we take into account uncertainty in human, technological, and natural systems? And how can we use environmental modelling to better empower communities and inform policy decision-making, from local to global scales?
Current Research Work
- Modelling the prospective impacts of policy on the sources, fate, and transport of global toxic pollutants (mercury, persistent organic pollutants)
- Developing computationally efficient air quality modelling and risk assessment tools to support uncertainty analysis, stakeholder decision-making, and community organizing for environmental justice
- Developing data analysis methods (and assessment processes) for evaluating the effectiveness of environmental policy, given uncertainty
- Perlinger JA, Urban NR, Giang A, Selin NE, Hendricks AN, Zhang H, Kumar A, Wu S, Gagnon VS, Gorman HS, Norman ES. “An Approach to Model the Time to Fish Consumption Safe from Methylmercury Exposure in a Tribal Community.” Environmental Science: Processes and Impacts, in review, 2017.
- Muntean M, Janssens-Maenhout G, Song S,Giang A, Selin NE, Zhong H, Zhao Y, Olivier J, Guizzardi D, Crippa M, Schaaf E, Dentener F. “Evaluating EDGARv4.tox2 speciated mercury ex-post scenarios and their impacts on modelled global and regional wet deposition patterns.” Atmospheric Environment, in review, 2017.
- Kwon SY, Selin NE, Giang A, Karplus V, Zhang D. “Present and future mercury concentrations in Chinese rice: Insights from modeling.” Global Biogeochemical Cycles, in review, 2017.
- Wolfe PJ, Giang A, Ashok A, Selin NE, Barrett SRH. “Costs of IQ Loss from Leaded Aviation Gasoline Emissions.” Environmental Science & Technology, 50(17):9026-33, 2016.
- Stokes LC, Giang A, Selin, NE. “Splitting the South: China and India’s Divergence in International Environmental Negotiations.” Global Environmental Politics, 2016, 16(4): 12-31.
- Giang A, Selin NE. “Benefits of mercury controls for the United States.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 113(2):286-91, 2016.
- Giang A, Stokes LC, Streets DG, Corbitt ES, Selin NE. “Impacts of the Minamata Convention on mercury emissions and global deposition from coal-fired power generation in Asia.” Environmental Science & Technology, 49(9):5326-35, 2015.
- Csiszar SA, Daggupaty SM, Verkoeyen S, Giang A, Diamond ML. “SO-MUM: A coupled atmospheric transport and multimedia model used to predict intraurban-scale PCB and PBDE emissions and fate.” Environmental Science & Technology, 47(1):436-45, 2012.