Hsi-Yung (Steve) Feng
Professor and Department Head
P.Eng., B.S. (National Taiwan), M.S., Ph.D. (Ohio State)
My research interests are in the area of CAD/CAM/CAI (Computer-Aided Design, Manufacturing, and Inspection) with emphasis on:
- Scanning-derived geometric modeling
- Three-axis and five-axis CNC machining
- 3D laser scanning and computational/coordinate metrology
Current Research Work
- Triangle mesh based geometric modeling and design
- Generalized CNC simulation and verification
- Optimal tool path generation in multi-axis sculptured surface machining
- Automatic removal of outliers in 3D laser scanned point clouds
- Precision inspection of complex shaped parts using 3D laser scanning
- F. Khameneifar and H.-Y. Feng, “Airfoil profile reconstruction under the uncertainty of inspection data points,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 71, no. 1–4, pp. 675–683, 2014.
- J. S.-S. Chen and H.-Y. Feng, “Automatic prismatic feature segmentation of scanning-derived meshes utilising mean curvature histograms: This paper presents an enhanced method for segmentation of scanning-derived triangle mesh models of physical prismatic mechanical parts,” Virtual and Physical Prototyping, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 45–61, 2014.
- H.-Y. Feng, D. H. Endrias, M. A. Taher, and H. Song, “An accurate and efficient algorithm for determining minimum circumscribed circles and spheres from discrete data points,” Computer-Aided Design, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 105–112, 2013.
- Y. Wang, H.-Y. Feng, F.-É. Delorme, and S. Engin, “An adaptive normal estimation method for scanned point clouds with sharp features,” Computer-Aided Design, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 1333–1348, 2013.
- A. Azeem and H.-Y. Feng, “Cutting force prediction for ball-end mills with non-horizontal and rotational cutting motions,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 67, no. 5–8, pp. 1833–1845, 2013.
- A. A. Rahman and H.-Y. Feng, “Effective corner machining via a constant feed rate looping tool path,” International Journal of Production Research, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1836–1851, 2013.
- J. Ma, H.-Y. Feng, and L. Wang, “Normal Vector Estimation for Point Clouds via Local Delaunay Triangle Mesh Matching,” Computer-Aided Design and Applications, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 399–411, 2013.
- O. Tuysuz, Y. Altintas, and H.-Y. Feng, “Prediction of cutting forces in three and five-axis ball-end milling with tool indentation effect,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, vol. 66, pp. 66–81, 2013.
- X. Gong and H.-Y. Feng, “Triangle Mesh Based In-Process Workpiece Update for General Milling Processes,” in ASME 2013 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, 2013, pp. V02AT02A043–V02AT02A043.
- D. OuYang, H.-Y. Feng, N. A. Jahangir, and H. Song, “Robust Initial Matching of Free-Form Objects Represented by Point Clouds,” Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, vol. 134, no. 2, p. 021008, 2012.