Professor of Teaching
B.A.Sc., Ph.D. (University of British Columbia), Member ASEE, ASME, CEEA, EGAD, STLHE
- Aerodynamics of sport
- General aerodynamics
- MECH 220 – Engineering Practicum (physics and mathematics review portion)
- MECH 221 – Engineering Science 1 (introduction to statistics portion)
- MECH 223 – Mechanical Design
- MECH 443 – Experimental Naval Architecture
- MECH 481 – Aircraft Aerodynamics
- Team-Based Learning
- Active learning
- Outcomes-based assessment
- Team dynamics
- L. Brownlie, P. Ostafichuk, J. Carbo, and N. Demarest, “Air Permeability of Sports Fabrics at Running Speeds,” Procedia Engineering, vol. 72, pp. 697–702, 2014.
- T. Todd Jones, K. S. Van Houtan, B. L. Bostrom, P. Ostafichuk, J. Mikkelsen, E. Tezcan, M. Carey, B. Imlach, and J. A. Seminoff, “Calculating the ecological impacts of animal-borne instruments on aquatic organisms,” Methods in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 1178–1186, 2013.
- P.M. Ostafichuk, J. Sibley, and H. M. Van Der Loos, “Peer-to-Peer Assessment in Large Classes: A Study of Several Techniques Used in Design Courses,” in American Society for Engineering Education, 2012.
- A. J. Hodgson and P. Ostafichuk, “Designing Extended Assignments for Team-Based Learning Modules,” Proceedings of the Canadian Engineering Education Association, 2011.
- T. T. Jones, B. Bostrom, M. Carey, B. Imlach, J. Mikkelsen, P. Ostafichuk, S. Eckert, P. Opay, Y. Swimmer, J. A. Seminoff, and others, “Determining transmitter drag and best-practice attachment procedures for sea turtle biotelemetry,” NOAA Tech Memo NMFS-SWFSC, vol. 480, p. 58, 2011.
- P. M. Ostafichuk and C. F. Jones, “ASSESSING PEER EVALUATION: A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF PEER EVALUATION METHODS USED IN AN ENGINEERING DESIGN COURSE,” Proceedings of the Canadian Engineering Education Association, 2011.
- A. J. Hodgson, P. Ostafichuk, and J. Sibley, “Team-based learning in the design modules of a new, integrated, 2nd year curriculum at UBC,” Proceedings of the Canadian Engineering Education Association, 2011.
- P. Ostafichuk, A. Hodgson, S. Bartek, and C. Naylor, “Teaching Team Dynamics: Experiences in Second-Year Mechanical Engineering Design,” Proc. of CDIO, 2010.
- L. Brownlie, P. Ostafichuk, E. Tews, H. Muller, E. Briggs, and K. Franks, “The wind-averaged aerodynamic drag of competitive time trial cycling helmets,” Procedia Engineering, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 2419–2424, 2010.
- P. M. Ostafichuk, H. M. Van der Loos, and J. Sibley, “Using Team-Based Learning to Improve Learning and the Student Experience in a Mechanical Design Course,” in ASME 2010 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, 2010, pp. 405–412.