Professor and Department Head
P.Eng., B.A.Sc. (University of Toronto), M.A.Sc., Ph.D. (Caltech), FASME, FCAE, Member TAPPI
|website:||Applied Fluid Mechanics Laboratory|
- Liquid Sprays
- Building Ventilation
- Fluid Mechanics
Current Research Work
- Liquid sprays: In collaboration with LB Foster, fundamental studies of the flow of Newtonian and non-Newtonian liquids in a pressure atomizer and the interaction of the liquid column with a moving surface have been performed. These studies have aided LB Foster in developing the next generation of railroad friction modifier, which will improve train fuel economy and reduce rail maintenance.
- Papermaking: Paper is formed by taking a very dilute suspension of pulp fibres and hydrodynamically filtering the suspension, thus producing a mat of fibres. In collaboration with AstenJohnson we have studied various aspects of papermaking. The goal of this research is to develop a model of the fibre deposition and dewatering process.
- Biomechanics: Professor Fels from Electrical Engineering, various graduate students, and I are working to develop a computer model of liquid and gas flow in the upper airway. The purpose of this work is to guide surgeons on best practices for reconstructive surgery of the airway.
- Building Ventilation In collaboration with Professor Rogak, Stantec, the Vancouver Airport Authority, and CIRS (Centre for Integrated Research on Sustainability), building ventilation and filtration are being studied.These studies have provided insight into optimal design of displacement ventilation systems and air handling equipment.
- A. Vakil and S. I. Green, “Corrigendum to ‘Drag and lift coefficients of inclined finite circular cylinders at moderate Reynolds numbers’[Computers & Fluids 38 (2009) 1771–1781],” Computers and Fluids, vol. 74, no. Complete, 2013.
- A. Serles and S. I. Green, “Forming fabric weave-scale variations in paper filler content,” TAPPI JOURNAL, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 9–18, 2013.
- A. Vakil and S. I. Green, “Numerical Study of Two-Dimensional Circular Cylinders in Tandem at Moderate Reynolds Numbers,” Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 135, no. 7, p. 071204, 2013.
- J. F. Montgomery, S. I. Green, S. N. Rogak, and K. Bartlett, “Predicting the energy use and operation cost of HVAC air filters,” Energy and Buildings, vol. 47, pp. 643–650, 2012.
- J. Li and S. I. Green, “X-ray microtomography measurements of paper surface roughness,” NORDIC PULP & PAPER RESEARCH JOURNAL, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 952–957, 2012.
- A. A. Aliabadi, S. N. Rogak, K. H. Bartlett, and S. I. Green, “Preventing airborne disease transmission: review of methods for ventilation design in health care facilities,” Advances in preventive medicine, vol. 2011, 2011.
- A. Vakil and S. I. Green, “Two-dimensional side-by-side circular cylinders at moderate Reynolds numbers,” Computers & Fluids, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 136–144, 2011.
- A. Vakil and S. I. Green, “Flexible fiber motion in the flow field of a cylinder,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 173–186, 2011.
- A. Vakil and S. I. Green, “Stagnation pressure, the Bernoulli equation, and the steady-flow energy equation,” International Journal of Mechanical Engineering Education, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 130–138, 2011.
- J. Montgomery, S. I. Green, and A. Vanerek, “Effect of applied vacuum box suction on overall retention in hand sheet forming,” NORDIC PULP & PAPER RESEARCH JOURNAL, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 463–472, 2010.