The following three awards are related; the Affiliated Fellowships and the Indigenous Scholars Awards and Supplements Pilot Initiative are open to eligible applicants to to the Tri-Agency Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s (CGS-M).
UBC Affiliated Fellowships-Master’s
The UBC Affiliated Fellowships Master’s competition runs in concert with the Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s (CGS-M; see below) competition. Approximately 50 fellowship with values ranging from $175 to $16,000 are offered through this competition. Current and prospective full-time UBC-Vancouver graduate students can apply. Students who are eligible for the CGS-M must submit a CGS-M application in order to additionally be considered for Affiliated funding.
Detailed Affiliated Fellowships-Master competition information with links to application and reference forms is available at: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/affiliated-fellowships-masters-program.
UBC Deadline for Affiliated Fellowships Master’s Competitions:
- Application deadline to email@example.com: 1 December 2023 before 5:00 pm PT
Tri-Agency Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s (CGS-M)
Applicants for Tri-Agency CGS-M competition must be domestic students (Canadian citizen or PR) who are applying for or enrolled in graduate studies anywhere in Canada. Each applicant can select up to 3 universities with the same application. To be considered for a CGS-M at UBC, they must select The University of British Columbia as one of the 3 available institutions.
Details about this award opportunity, including eligibility and evaluation criteria, are available at http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PG-CS/CGSM-BESCM_eng.asp and our site at https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/canada-graduate-scholarships-masters-cgs-m-program.
Students who apply for CGS-M awards will automatically be considered for open/un-restricted Affiliated Fellowships. To be additionally considered for criteria-based/restricted Affiliated Fellowships, students should fill out and submit to their graduate programs the checklist available at https://www.grad.ubc.ca/forms/list-criteria-based-affiliated-fellowships.
Deadlines for the Tri-Agency CGS-M:
- Application deadline: 1 December 2023 before 5:00 pm PT
- Applicant must complete and submit online application using Research Portal. (make sure to follow the instructions listed on the G+PS webpage)
- Note that the application deadline is set at the national level and is not flexible; late applications cannot be submitted in the system and extensions to the deadline are not possible.
Indigenous Scholars Awards and Supplements Pilot Initiative (NSERC and SSHRC)
The Indigenous Scholars Awards and Supplements Pilot Initiative consist of a one-year, non-renewable supplement valued at $5,000 for all meritorious Indigenous CGS M applicants and a one-year, non-renewable award valued at $17,500 for all alternate candidates, subject to the limit of available funding. If you self-identify as Indigenous you are eligible to apply for this initiative. Note: CIHR is not participating in this initiative. For more information, see the Tri-Agency’s pilot initiative webpage.
Tips for submitting an NSERC CGS-M application:
- The importance of the application deadline. CGS-M applications cannot be submitted or edited after the application deadline. Late applications will be ruled ineligible. The CGS-M application deadline is set nationally by the CGS-M funding agency and is not flexible.
- Students are encouraged to ask for reference letters early and to send the instructions to their referees: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/ResearchPortal-PortailDeRecherche/Instructions-Instructions/CGSM_REF-BESCM_REF_eng.asp.
- Check early if you have all official transcripts for all previous studies (including transfer credits). Transcript guidance for applicants is outlined on the G+PS CGS-M webpage.
- Although the SISC academic history document is accepted for UBC CGSM applications, it may not be accepted by other universities in Canada, so students applying elsewhere for the CGSM in addition to UBC should order official UBC transcripts.
- Applicants are recommended to use the same email in their CGS-M Research Portal login as in eVision or SSC. This is not a requirement, but it helps match the applications to correct programs quicker after the application deadline.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.