B.S. (National Taiwan University, Taiwan); Ph.D. (UC-Berkeley, USA)
Micro-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS)
Current Research Work
Fabrication and packaging of micro-electro-mechanical systems for biological applications.
- Khademolhosseini, F. & Chiao, M. Experimental characterization of the base tilting effect and determination of the tilting coefficient of PDMS micropillar structures. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering (Jan. 2021).
- Zhao, C., Chiao, M. & Yang, W. Antibacterial hydrogel coating: strategies in surface chemistry. Ad- vances in Colloid and Interface Science 285, 102280 (Nov. 2020).
- R. Fan et al. Development of a hybrid piezoelectric and pneumatic miniature optical scanner for endoscopic applications. Sensors & Actuators: A. Physical 315, 112311 (Nov. 2020).
- Alizadegan, A., Zhao, P., Nagamune, R. & Chiao, M. Experimental Validation of a Robust H∞ Control Method On Miniaturized Optical Image Stabilizer Prototypes. Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measure- ment, and Control 142, 124501–2 (Dec. 2020).
- Shademani, A. & Chiao, M. Analytical and experimental study of magnetomechanical properties of magnetic porous PDMS sponge under non-uniform magnetic fields. ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics 87, 1–10 (Aug. 2020).
- Chu, Axel J., Zhao, Eric Jiahua, Chiao, M. & Lim, C. J. Co-culture of induced pluripotent stem cells with cardiomyocytes is sufficient to promote their differentiation into cardiomyocytes. PLOS ONE 15, 1–15. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0230966 (Apr. 2020).
- R. Yousefnejad, N. Atabaki, M. Chiao, “An algorithm for designing a cooling system for photovoltaic panels”, Solar Energy,v 194, pp. 450-460, 2019.
- A. Alizadegan, P. Zhao, R. Nagamune, and .M. Chiao, “Robust H∞ control of miniaturized optical image stabilizers against product variabilities,” Control Engineering Practice,80, pp.70-82, November 2018.
- P. Zhao, R. Nagamune, and M. Chiao, “Multiple parameter-dependent robust control of miniaturized optical image stabilizers,” Control Engineering Practice,76, pp.1-11, July 2018.
- Z. Wang, H. Zhang, A. J. Chu, J. Jackson, K. Lin, C. James Lim, D. Lange and M. Chiao, “Mechanically Enhanced Nested-Network Hydrogels as a Coating Material for Biomedical Devices”, Acta Biomaterialia, v 70, pp. 98-109, April 2018.
- J. Jackson, A. Chen, H. Zhang, H. Burt, and M. Chiao, “Design and Near-Infrared Actuation of a Gold Nanorod–Polymer Microelectromechanical Device for On-Demand Drug Delivery,” Micromachines, 9(1),p.28, January 2018.
- H. Zhang, J. Jackson and M. Chiao, “Microfabricated Drug Delivery Devices: Design, Fabrication and Applications”, Advanced Functional Materials, DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201703606, 2017.
- Werner J. Struss, Zheng Tan, Payam Zachkani, Igor Moskalev, John K. Jackson, Ali Shademani, Ninadh M. D’Costa, Peter A. Raven, Sebastian Frees, Claudia Chavez-Munoz, Mu Chiao and Alan I. So, “Magnetically-actuated drug delivery device (MADDD) for minimally invasive treatment of prostate cancer: An in vivo animal pilot study”, The Prostate, 8 AUG 2017 | DOI: 10.1002/pros.23395
- Ali Shademani, H. Zhang, J. Jackson and M. Chiao, “Active Regulation of On-Demand Drug Delivery by Magnetically Triggerable Microspouters”, Advanced Functional Materials. v27, 1604558, 2017.
- Shi, J. and Zhang, H. and J. Jackson and A. Shademani and M. Chiao, “A robust and refillable magnetic sponge capsule for remotely triggered drug release”, J. Mater. Chem. B v4, 7415-7422, 2016.
- Ethan Lee, Hongbin Zhang, John K. Jackson, James Lim and Mu Chiao, “Janus Films with Stretchable and Water Proof Properties for Wound Care and Drug Delivery Applications”, Royal Society of Chemistry Advances, 2016, v6, 79900 – 79909
- F. Khademolhosseini, C.-C. Liu, C.J. Lim and M. Chiao, “A magnetically actuated cellular strain assessment tool for quantitative analysis of strain induced cellular reorientation and actin alignment”, Review of Scientific Instrument, v87, 085004, 2016.
- P. Zachkani, J. K. Jackson, F. N. Pirmoradi and M. Chiao, “A cylindrical magnetically-actuated drug delivery device proposed for minimally invasive treatment of prostate cancer”, Royal Society of Chemistry Advances., v5, 98087-98096, 2015.
- Hongbin Zhang, Chao Bian, John K. Jackson, Helen M. Burt and Mu Chiao,”Enzyme-Modified Hydrogel Coatings with Self-Cleaning Abilities for Low Fouling PDMS Devices”, Advanced Materials Interfaces, Volume2, doi: 10.1002/admi.201500154
- Hongbin Zhang and Mu Chiao, “Antifouling Coatings of PDMS Devices for Biological/Biomedical Applications”, Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering, Volume 35, Issue 2, Page 143-155, 2015.
- Hongbin Zhang, Chao Bian, John K. Jackson, Farzad Khademolhosseini, Helen M. Burt and Mu Chiao, “The Fabrication of Robust Hydrogel Coatings on Polydimethylsiloxane Substrates Using Micropillar Anchor Structures with Chemical Surface Modification”, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces Vol. 6(12), pp. 9126–9133, 2014.
- Parham Pournazari, R. Nagamune, and M. Chiao, “A Concept of a Magnetically-Actuated Optical Image Stabilizer for Mobile Applications”, IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, Vol. 60(1), pp. 10-17, 2014.
- Hadi Mansoor, Haishan Zeng, Jianhua Zhao, and Mu Chiao, “A handheld electromagnetically actuated fiber optic raster scanner for in vivo confocal imaging of biological samples”, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 60(5), pp. 1431-1438, 2013.
- F. Khademolhosseini and M. Chiao, “Fabrication and patterning of magnetic polymer micropillar structures using a dry nanoparticle embedding technique”, IEEE/ASME joint Journal of Microelectromechanical systems, Vol. 22(1), pp. 131-139, 2013.
- K. Ou, J. Jackson, H. Burt and M. Chiao, “Microspheres as resistive elements in a check valve for low pressure and low flow rate conditions”, Lab on a Chip, Vol. 12(21), pp. 4372 – 4380, 2012.
- H. Mansoor, H. Zeng, K. Chen, Y. Yu, J. Zhao, and Mu Chiao, “Vertical optical sectioning using a magnetically driven confocal microscanner aimed for in vivo clinical imaging,” Optics Express, Vol. 19, pp. 25161-25172, 2011.
- F. N. Pirmoradi, J. Jackson, H. Burt and M. Chiao, “On-demand controlled release of docetaxel from a battery-less MEMS drug delivery device”, Lab on a Chip, Vol. 11(16), pp. 2744 – 2752, 2011 (highlighted article)