Clarence de Silva
Professor and Senior Canada Research Chair in Mechatronics and Industrial Automation
B.Sc. Eng. (Hon 1, Ceylon); M.A.Sc. (Toronto); Ph.D. (MIT); Ph.D. (Cambridge); D.Eng. (Hon, Waterloo); D.Sc. (Hon, OUSL); Fellow of IEEE, ASME, ASI, CAE, & Royal Society of Canada; Distinguished Visiting Fellow of Royal Academy of Engineering
|phone:||(604) 822-6291 (office) | (604) 822-4850 (lab) | (778) 955-7837 (cell)|
|website:||Industrial Automation Laboratory|
- Multi-robot Systems and Applications including Homecare
- Process Automation
- Mechatronics; Integrated and Automated Design
- Control Sensors and Actuators
- Automated Machine Monitoring, Diagnosis, and Repair
- Environmental Monitoring
- Cooperative mobile robots for human rescue
- Haptic teleoperation and autonomous mobile robots in homecare applications
- Telehealth, telemedicine, and IMAGINE
- Intelligent sensor fusion for machine health monitoring and supervisory control
- Instrumentation of processes for monitoring and control (sensors, actuators, etc.)
- Computer vision applications in process control, and robotics
- Formal techniques for mechatronic system design and evaluation (Mechatronic Design Quotient or MDQ; Automated design evolution, etc.)
- Automated spatio-temporal monitoring of the quality of water sources
- Diagnosis and automated repair of pipelines
- Journal of Control and Intelligent Systems, Editor-in-Chief
- International Journal of Hybrid Intelligent Systems, Book Review Editor
- International Journal of Information Acquisition, Editorial Board
- Xia, M., Li, T., Zhang, Y., and de Silva, C.W., “Closed-loop Design Evolution of Engineering Systems using Condition Monitoring through Internet of Things and Cloud Computing,” Journal of Computer Networks, 2016 (In Press)
- Saliba, M. A. and de Silva, C.W., “Quasi-dynamic Analysis, Design Optimization, and Evaluation of a Two-finger Underactuated Hand,” Mechatronics, 2016 (In Press).
- Samarakoon, B., Gamage, L., and de Silva, C.W., “Design Evolution of Engineering Systems Using Bond Graphs and Genetic Programming,” Mechatronics, Vol. 33C, pp. 71-83, 2016.
- Tabatabaei,K., Behbahani, S., and de Silva, C.W., “Self-adjusting Multidisciplinary Design of Hydraulic Engine Mount Using Bond Graphs and Inductive Genetic Programming,” Journal Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 48, pp. 32-49, 2016.
- Khoshnoud, F., Zhang, Y., Shimura, R., Shahba, A., Jin, G., Pissanidis, G., Chen, Y.K., and de Silva, C.W., “Energy regeneration from suspension dynamic modes and self-powered actuation”, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol. 20, No. 5, pp. 2513-2524, 2015.
- Lu, L., Yan, J., and de Silva, C.W., “Dominant Feature Selection for the Fault Diagnosis of Rotary Machines Using Modified Genetic Algorithm and Empirical Mode Decomposition,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 344, pp. 464-483, 2015.
- Lee, M.F.R., Chiu, F.H.S., de Silva, C.W., and Shih, C.Y..A., “Intelligent Navigation and Micro-Spectrometer Content Inspection System for a Homecare Mobile Robot,” International Journal of Fuzzy Systems, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 389-399, 2014.
- Behbahani, S. and de Silva, C.W., “Niching Genetic Scheme with Bond Graphs for Topology and Parameter Optimization of a Mechatronic System,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 269-277, 2014.
- Wang, Y., Zhang, G.L., Lang, H., and de Silva, C.W., “A Modified Image-based Visual Servo-controller with Hybrid Camera Configuration for Robust Robotic Grasping,” Journal of Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 62, No. 10, pp. 1398-1407, 2014.
- Qazi, A.J., de Silva, C.W., Khan, A., and Khan, M.T., “Performance Analysis of a Semiactive Suspension System with Particle Swarm Optimization and Fuzzy Logic Control,” Scientific World Journal, Vol. 2014, ID 174102, pp. 1-12, 2014.
- Zhang, Y. and de Silva, C.W., “RSMDP-based Robust Q-learning for Optimal Path Planning in a Dynamic Environment,” IAES International Journal of Robotics and Automation (IJRA), vol. 3, no. 1, 2014.
- Behbahani, S. and de Silva, C.W., “Automated identification of a mechatronic system model using genetic programming and bond graphs,” Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, vol. 135, no. 5, pp. 051007, 1-12, 2013.
- De Silva, C.W. and Behbahani, S., “A Design Paradigm for Mechatronic Systems,” Mechatronics, Vol. 23, No. 8, pp. 960-966, 2013.
- De Silva, C.W. and Pourazadi, S., “Some Generalizations of Linear-graph Modeling for Dynamic Systems,” International Journal of Control, Vol. 86, No. 11, pp. 1990-2005, 2013.
- De Silva, C.W., SENSORS AND ACTUATORS—Engineering System Instrumentation, 2nd Edition, Taylor & Francis/CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2016.
- De Silva, C.W., Mechanics of Materials, Taylor & Francis/CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2014.
- De Silva, C.W., Mechatronics—A Foundation Course, Taylor & Francis/CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2010.
- De Silva, C.W., MODELING AND CONTROL of Engineering Systems, Taylor & Francis/CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2009.
- De Silva, C.W., VIBRATION—Fundamentals and Practice, 2nd Edition, Taylor & Francis/CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2007.
- Karray, F.O. and de Silva, C.W., Soft Computing and Intelligent Systems Design—Theory, Tools, and Applications, Addison Wesley, New York, NY, 2004.
More information on my publications can be found at: http://scholar.google.ca/citations?hl=en&user=l9zjA3cAAAAJ