Machiel Van der Loos
P.Eng; Dipl. Ingénieur, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland (1978); Eng. Degree, Stanford University (1984); PhD, Stanford University (1992)
Director, Robotics for Rehabilitation, Exercise and Assessment in Collaborative Healthcare (RREACH) Lab; Associate Director, UBC CARIS Lab; Member, UBC Institute for Computing, Information, and Cognitive Systems (ICICS); Faculty Affiliate, Masters of Digital Media Program, Great Northern Way Campus; Affiliate, National Core for Neuroethics
- Rehabilitation Robotics
- Human-Robot Interaction
- Design for Safety
- Design Methodology and Design Coaching
Current Research Work
- Inherently safe design of mobile manipulation robotic systems.
- Development and testing of mechatronic exercise systems for stroke therapy.
- Development of robotic tools for improved understanding and treatment of human balance disorders.
- Exploration of ethical design principles for robot interfaces and neurotechnologies.
- S.M. Glegg, C.T. Hung, B.A. Valdés, B.D.G. Kim, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Kinecting the Moves: The kinematic potential of rehabilitation-specific gaming to inform treatment for hemiplegia,” Journal of Child Health and Human Development, 9(3), 2016.
- N. Shirzad, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Evaluating the user experience of exercising reaching motions with a robot that predicts desired movement difficulty,” Journal of Motor Behavior, May 6, 2015, pp. 1-16.
- M. Lam, S. Tatla, K. Lohse, N. Shirzad, A. Hoens, K. Miller, N. Virji-Babul, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Perceptions of technology and its use for therapeutic exercises: Findings from focus group discussions with children with cerebral palsy, their parents and adults post-stroke,” Journal of Medical Internet Research – Rehabilitation, 2/1, 2015.
- T.P. Huryn, J.-S. Blouin, M.Koehle, E.A. Croft, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Experimental performance evaluation of human balance control models,” IEEE-Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 22(7), pp. 1115-1127, Nov. 2014.
- A.J. Hodgson, R.C. Tam, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “‘ Engineers in Scrubs’-A New Graduate Training Program for Biomedical Engineers at the University of British Columbia,” Journal of Medical Devices, 2014.
- K.R. Lohse, C.G. Hilderman, K.L. Cheung, S. Tatla, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Virtual Reality Therapy for Adults Post-Stroke: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis Exploring Virtual Environments and Commercial Games in Therapy,” PloS one, vol. 9, no. 3, p. e93318, 2014.
- W.P. Chan, C.A. Parker, H.F.M. Van der Loos, E.A. Croft, “A human-inspired object handover controller,” The International Journal of Robotics Research, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 971–983, 2013.
- Aj. Moon, C.A. Parker, E.A. Croft, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Design and Impact of Hesitation Gestures during Human-Robot Resource Conflicts,” Journal of Human-Robot Interaction, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 18–40, 2013.
- H.F.M. Van der Loos, A. Hodgson, J. Mikkelsen, M. Fengler, “How Student Reflections Have Guided the Evolution of a Mechanical Engineering Capstone Design Course,” Proceedings of the Canadian Engineering Education Association, 2013.
- L. Zollo, K. Wada, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Special Issue on Assistive Robotics [From the Guest Editors],” Robotics & Automation Magazine, IEEE, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 16–19, 2013.
- A.J. Hodgson, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “The Innovation Agenda: Potential Implications for the Engineering Design Curriculum,” Proceedings of the Canadian Engineering Education Association, 2013.
- K. Lohse, N. Shirzad, A. Verster, N. Hodges, H.F.M. Van der Loos, “Video Games and Rehabilitation: Using Design Principles to Enhance Engagement in Physical Therapy,” Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 166–175, 2013.