Ph.D. (McMaster); Hon. Dr. Ing. (Stuttgart); NSERC–P&WC Industrial Research Chair; Coordinator of Mechatronics Option at UBC; Fellow of RSC, ASME, CIRP, SME, AvH, CAE, ISNM, and P&WC.
|website:||Manufacturing Automation Laboratory|
- Modeling and Analysis of Machining Processes
- Design and Computer Control of Machine Tool Spindle and Feed Drives
- Mechanics, dynamics and control of micro-machining operations
- Design of Virtual High Performance Machining Simulation System
- On line detection and suppression of chatter
- Analytical and Experimental Modeling of the Mechanics and the Dynamics of Turning, Boring, Drilling and Milling Processes
- Development of Industrial Software Packages for Machine Tool and Cutting Process, Analysis, and Diagnostics
- Motion Control and Trajectory Generation for Machine Tools
- Virtual/Real time Design of modular CNC Systems
- Intelligent Machining Process Control, Hardware Monitoring, and Software Modules for CNC Machine Tools
- CAD/CAM System Development for High Speed Machining of Dies and Molds
Current Research Work
- Design of virtual high performance machining systems in CAD environment
- Dynamics of high-speed milling for aerospace and die/mold industry
- High speed, five axis ball end milling of compressor blades
- Trajectory generation for high-speed feed drives
- Control of 5-axis machine tools for minimum contouring errors and vibrations
- Design of Virtual CNC Systems
- Development of adaptive control, tool condition monitoring, and chatter vibration detection/suppression modules for milling processes
- Active damping of machine tool vibrations
- Analytical modelling and prediction of chatter vibrations in milling, boring, turning and drilling operations
- Distortion of thin walled structures after machining
- Reduced order multi-body dynamics of machine tools
- Y. Altintas, “Adaptive Control,” CIRP Encyclopedia of Production Engineering, pp. 17–19, 2014.
- F. Chen, X. Lu, and Y. Altintas, “A novel magnetic actuator design for active damping of machining tools,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, vol. 85, pp. 58–69, 2014.
- Y. Altintas, “Computer Numerical Control,” CIRP Encyclopedia of Production Engineering, pp. 249–252, 2014.
- X. Lu, F. Chen, and Y. Altintas, “Magnetic actuator for active damping of boring bars,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, 2014.
- J. Yang and Y. Altintas, “Generalized kinematics of five-axis serial machines with non-singular tool path generation,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, vol. 75, pp. 119–132, 2013.
- M. Law, A. S. Phani, and Y. Altintas, “Position-Dependent Multibody Dynamic Modeling of Machine Tools Based on Improved Reduced Order Models,” Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, vol. 135, no. 2, p. 021008, 2013.
- K. Zhang, A. Yuen, and Y. Altintas, “Pre-compensation of contour errors in five-axis CNC machine tools,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, vol. 74, pp. 1–11, 2013.
- O. Tuysuz, Y. Altintas, and H.-Y. Feng, “Prediction of cutting forces in three and five-axis ball-end milling with tool indentation effect,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, vol. 66, pp. 66–81, 2013.
- M. Law, Y. Altintas, and A. Srikantha Phani, “Rapid evaluation and optimization of machine tools with position-dependent stability,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, vol. 68, pp. 81–90, 2013.
- A. Yuen, K. Zhang, and Y. Altintas, “Smooth trajectory generation for five-axis machine tools,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, vol. 71, pp. 11–19, 2013.