Governor General’s Gold Medal – MASc/PhD
One gold medal is awarded to the student who has achieved the most outstanding academic record as a doctoral student. A second gold medal is awarded to the graduate student who has achieved most outstanding academic record as a master’s student completing a thesis. Students must have submitted the final copy of their thesis to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022. This is an opportunity to honour the best in the graduating class within the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, as there is only one award for more than 2,000 Master’s graduates and one award for more than 500 doctoral graduates. Medals are presented on behalf of the Governor General of Canada by participating educational institutions, along with a personalized certificate signed by the Governor General. There is no monetary award associated with the medals.
Application package must include:
- Application form filled out by the student
- Copy of External Examiner’s report on doctoral dissertation (for PhD applicants only – Master’s applicants do not need to provide an equivalent document)
- Letter of support from thesis supervisor (The letter of support must be sent directly from the supervisor to email@example.com)
- All undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- UBC transcript: The ”Academic History” document requested from your graduate program. Official transcripts ordered from Enrollment Services are also acceptable. SSC grade summary page is not acceptable.
- Other transcripts: Official transcripts are preferred, where possible. Due to COVID-19, unofficial transcripts are also acceptable in cases where an official transcript cannot be obtained in time. Unofficial transcripts must still be authentic, up to date and complete.
- Transcripts must be complete and up to date – issued in Fall 2022 if currently registered, or after the last term completed if not currently registered.
Friday, February 17, 2023 at 8:00 am PT (submit your application package to firstname.lastname@example.org)
For eligibility requirements and application procedures, please visit: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/governor-generals-gold-medal