As a Department, we value diversity. We value community. And we value each person that brings diversity to our community. There is no room for hate or intolerance.
As a place of education, we firmly stand by our transgender, nonbinary, and all 2SLGBTQIA+ students’ right to a safe, inclusive and equitable learning environment. Instructors will offer appropriate concessions where possible to those who miss class or assignment deadlines due to these events.
With actions scheduled on campus for September 20th, members of our community who feel unsafe are encouraged to walk between classes with others, or stay home and take advantage of appropriate concessions. There are safe spaces open for 2SLGBTQIA+ students such as the Women’s Centre and Resource Lounge in the AMS Nest. Students can visit Mech Student Services (CEME 2205) and Faculty and Staff can visit Mech Administrative Services (CEME 2053), which are available from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm on weekdays.
- If anyone needs to reach out for emotional support, consider calling:
- Trans Lifeline: (877) 330-6366,
- Crisis Centre BC: 1 (866) 661-3311, or
- Crisis Services Canada: 1 (833) 456-4566
- Students can also use AMS Safewalk from 8pm-2am if they want support walking across campus: (604) 822-5355.
- In case of an emergency, dial 911. For non-emergency threats, call Campus Security: (604) 822-2222.