Master of Engineering (MEng) in Mechatronics DesignApply Now
Application InstructionsNOTE: The instructions below are for MEng Mechatronics Design applicants only. Students interested in our other MEng programs, or in our MEL, MASc, or PhD programs, should visit our Applications and Admissions information page, which will point you to the application instructions for each specific program. NOTE: Please note that we have been informed that UBC is in the process of increasing tuition fees. These changes are currently pending. The proposed increase will take effect after May 2018.
DeadlinesApplications are now closed. Applications will re-open for September 2018 intake on October 1st, 2017. The deadline for applications is March 1, 2018. Please note that we do not offer a January intake.
ProcessThe MEng Mechatronics Design application process is going ‘paperless’: we no longer require that official paper documents be sent to the Program Office in support of an application. Instead, the Program Office will review scanned PDF versions of documents uploaded to the online application portal, and will only require official (paper) documents if an applicant is accepted. Successful applicants will receive a provisional admission offer with a deadline to submit official documents in order to receive an unconditional admission offer. No registration or start of program is allowed until the provisions are fulfilled and a new letter issued.
The following documentation is required in support of an application to the Master of Engineering program at UBC:
- Master of Engineering Program online application form and application fee. Payment by credit card (Mastercard or Visa) or debit card (CAD $100.00 domestic, CAD $162.00 international).
- Three confidential reference reports. The online application form will ask for the contact information for the referees. The referee will be invited by email and will respond by email. Applicants can check the status of submission through their online application form account. References should be requested from individuals who are prepared to provide a report on your academic ability and qualifications. Personal references are not acceptable.
- Uploaded documents. Applicants can now upload PDF scans of the following: (1) English test; (2) Proof of Canadian Permanent Residency or Canadian Citizenship (for those not born in Canada); and (3) Official academic documents. If given a provisional admission offer, the academic documents couriered must match the scans used for review in order to receive an unconditional admission letter.
Applicants with Canadian or U.S credentials
Applicants must hold a Bachelor of Applied Science or equivalent, conferred at a recognized institution in North America, as well as some prior education in mechatronics design, with:
- A minimum overall average of B+ (76% at UBC) in third- and fourth-year level courses, or
- Academic standing with at least 12 credits of third- or fourth-year level courses in the A-grade range (at UBC 80% or higher)
Applicants must hold a credential deemed comparable to a Canadian four-year Bachelor of Applied Science, as well as some prior education in mechatronics design, with:
- A minimum overall average equivalent to B+ (the MEng Program Office has established specific minimum admission requirements for graduates of different countries), and
- A minimum IELTS score of 6.5 or TOEFL iBT score of 90 (see below for specific language test requirements)
English Proficiency Tests and Minimum Requirements